Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My Dream of Sunnah Living

BismIllah wa as salaamu alaikum.

I have a rant coming up...it's even drafted out roughly on a notepad page. But in the meantime, before I start venting my amazement at the the irony of our situation, I will share something more lovely, insha'Allah. This is my dream of Sunnah living.

Clothing: A wardrobe of simple dresses, tunics and skirts (waistwraps) made of completely natural fibers. I'm talking about cotton, linen, silk, wool, and leather. A beautiful linen abaya - the large overcloak that is not sewn closed. These days it usually comes in polyester dolled up with the name "Japanese Fursan." I will simply put my abaya over me, just as they did in the time of the Prophet, salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam, and hold it to cover my face when necessary - no sewn and tied niqab - just my abaya doing the job. Soft, simple, all leather sewn khuffs and slip on shoes.

My personal hygiene: Miswak toothbrush, honey and olive oil for my skin treat. Ground sidr, lote, or laurel leaves for cleansing. My shampoo made of neem leaf infusion, organic castille soap and a little olive oil. Perhaps some coconut oil and other herbs from the land. Alum stone for deodorant. Water - the best perfume. Antimony - the best make-up. Wudhoo from a clay bowl or pitcher of water, ghusl with the same quantity of water the Prophet, salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam used.

My home: A cob house, made of clay, sand, and straw...with a beautiful earthen, oiled floor. Kitchen stocked with stainless steel and cast iron cookware. Not a piece of plastic in sight. Large pottery or steel platters for the food and a cob oven to bake bread. Sitting on a mat on the floor to eat...with our fingers. Sleeping on palm leaf fiber mats (stuffed a little to make them more comfortable) with leather neck roll pillows. No electricity outlets except in the kitchen and one for the computer. Solar power - off the grid, no reliance on other than Allah's sunshine for our energy insha'Allah.

My surroundings: Land...5, 10, 20, 40, 100 acres. Whatever Allah Wills. A well for water, composting toilets, garden and orchard to feed us fruits and vegetables. A cow and a goat for milk, chickens for eggs, sheep for wool and occasional meat. Homemade cheeses, yogurt, pickles, sundried fruits and veggies.

My day: Waking in the morning in perfect time to pray tahajjud because I made dua' the night before and Allah woke me. Praying, reading Qur'an, waiting for the rooster crow... to signal fajr. Gathering together in the central masjid for the prayer...sharing some 'ilm. Simple breakfast of fruits and yogurt with others. Out to the land, a family/community affair - to gather eggs, milk, pick vegetables and fruits for the day's provision. Lessons, Qur'an, crafting, love between me and my husband, children, sisters... Communal prayers and meals, d.i.y. projects, sharing of skills and talents.

My dreams: A couple of small cob cottages - for a Muslim retreat. A form of income, and a beautiful Islamic respite for couples. Summer camps...activities, learning, growing, in a halal and positive environment. Empowerment projects, to teach other Muslims how to live self-sufficiently, according to the Sunnah. Islamic cottage industry - Sunnah Threads...selling homemade Islamic clothes. All projects that our children can grow into and earn a living from, never having to rely on non-Muslims for their income or their sustenance. Never having to compromise their Islam for a dollar to buy food or a roof over their head.

Well, I could go on and on...and although it seems like a fairy tale, much of it has been in the plans and research for the past 5+ years, masha'Allah. Our lifestyle has been heading that way...making our own bread, cheese, yogurt, etc. from scratch. Growing our food in the backyard to see how much we could grow, and how well. Replacing unnatural items with natural, and going back to the Sunnah in our eating, sleeping, and personal products. We even saw 40 acres in New Mexico for $18,000 last night...may Allah send us all that and more next year when we are, bi ithn Allah, ready to buy land - ameen. We have the cob building book, we have the details on the livestock and growing season. We even made lists of the things we plan to grow insha'Allah. It may be a dream, but with Allah and pure intentions, all things can become realities...and we may be able to leave a legacy for generations to come.

Oh Allah, You have inspired us to this...Guide us and make it a reality - ameen.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry made a mistake on my last post..............

    Masha Allah Ukhty we dream the same dream and this way is so simple and so uncomplicated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow sounds really nice.
    May Allah bless y'all with the ability to do this successfully. Ameen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Subhan'Allah, beautiful and inspiring, now i've got more to think about and work towards insha'Allah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mashaallah Mai!!! I Love your dream! I share ur dream of a cob house as well... even if i'm living in the city, to be able to own one, with land so that I could get away and escape the demanding dunya! or even send my mom to when shes had an over load of stress. May Allah Make this attainable and easy for you and your family, and Bless you with all you dream of and more! AMEEN!

    -Faith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Assalaamu alaikum ukhti
    Masha Allah, your dream inspires me to dream bigger...
    May Allah answer all your duahs :)

    Umm Imaan

    ReplyDelete

Followers