Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Make That Call

Bism Illah wa as salaamu alaikum wa Rahmat Allah wa Barakatuh.

How many of us have at least one person that we haven't talked to in a long while. Someone that perhaps we have been out of touch with for so long that we feel embarrassed or shy to even call by now?

How many of us have received a call from a friend or acquaintance after a long time and been really pleased that they remembered us? That even though a long time had passed, they still got in touch... apologies and all. If you ever had it happen to you, then you know that it's better to make the call than leave it any longer. It's called strengthening the ties of brotherhood/sisterhood. It's what our Ummah is all about.

Abu Dharr said: My friend (the Prophet) ordered me to observe seven things. He ordered me to love the poor and be near them; he ordered me to consider my inferior and not consider my superior; he ordered me to be kind to the kinsman and to preserve and keep intact the bond of kinship; he ordered me not to ask anyone for anything; he ordered me to speak the truth even when it is bitter; he ordered me not to fear for Allah's sake reproach anyone may cast on me; and he ordered me to repeat often, "There is no might and no power except in God," for these words are a part of the treasure under the throne. (Ahmad)

I had a friend who I hadn't heard from in a couple of weeks. I gave her a call to see what was happening with her and to apologise for not calling earlier. Turns out she didn't even know what day Eid was on and that there was the Deal of the Year coming up on Yawm Al Arafat to wipe out two years of sins. Subhaan Allah! Then she told me that she'd been depressed and I told her to scream, shout and kick Shaytaan out. The next day she called to say that Allah sent the call to her just when she needed it and that she was back on track. Alhamdul'Illahi Rabbil al-ameen! You just never know how, or who, your call might benefit.

We all get busy in our lives. But when someone makes the time for us, remembers us in all the rush, we feel special and loved. The ties of kinship are precious. Make the time, even if only for 5 minutes. Make your list of neglected friends and give them a call.

You can never go wrong in doing good. Make your list of people who there is some bad feeling between you, then build a bridge and get over it.

"The good deed and the evil deed cannot be equal. Repel (the evil) with one which is better, then verily! he, between whom and you there was enmity, (will become) as though he was a close friend." [Quran 41:34]

Make the call, pay the visit. Believers are to each other like bricks in a wall, one supporting the other and each relying on each other for support. Without all the bricks, the wall becomes weak and falls down. Strengthen the walls, bring our Ummah back together one brick at a time... one call at a time.

3 comments:

  1. thank you for this... as timely as ever..

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry had to post again... your right dont let the grass grow under your feet.. so i got the hint..

    ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Believers are to each other like bricks in a wall, one supporting the other and each relying on each other for support. Without all the bricks, the wall becomes weak and falls down. Strengthen the walls, bring our Ummah back together one brick at a time... one call at a time." You made my day!!! Thanks tons!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Followers