Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Why I Travel

BismIllah wa as salaamu alaykum wa Rahmat Allah wa Barakatuh.

I read this, by chance, and was instantly brought to tears. (Yes, I know I'm just a like a leaky tap when it comes to Islam!) Anyway, I have never seen this from it's source, but this is apparently some poetry from  Imām ash-Shāfi‘ī, Raḥimahullāh:

Leave your home in search of the heights and travel

Because there are five benefits of traveling:

To relieve your despair,

To seek to enrich your livelihood,

To seek knowledge and good character,

And to accompany righteous companions.”

Subhaan Allah, there are no coincidences. I travel for every one of those reasons.

I travel to relieve my despair: When shaytaan has infiltrated some part of my life and I need my time alone with my Rabb, I walk. I travel around and around, thinking and talking with Allah until I arrive at my destination - a blessed place in mind and spirit.

I travel to seek livelihood: I have flown to Madinah al Munawarah with my husband and family seeking halal livelihood in a blessed and Islamic environment.

I travel to seek knowledge and good character: I travel every weekday to a Quran school to learn Arabic, Quran, Islamic Studies, and to study with teachers and among other sisters who all encourage each other to good character. I travel on weekends to spend time with valued friends who I can rely on to seek Allah's pleasure.

I travel to accompany righteous companions: This is the most broad area of my travel because I have physically traveled to accompany righteous companions, and every day of my life I travel with many beautiful sisters, kindred spirits, along the path of this dunya towards our goal of Jennah. When one gets tired, another gives her a pep talk. When one gets sidetracked, another re-focuses her. When one struggles, another supports. It is the travel that reaps rewards and benefits without ever having to leave my home. While there are many downfalls of technology and this Internet Revolution, most certainly this is one of the most beautiful things about it. Sisterhood, brotherhood, the joining and uniting of believers in their struggles as they travel along life's path.

I am overwhelmed by the blessing of so many righteous companions on seeking to remain firmly on the Siraat al Mustaqeem (The Straight Path). "Then which of the favors of your Lord will you deny?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers