Monday, August 16, 2010

Da'wah: Small Kindnesses

As salaamu alaikum wa Rahmat Allah wa Barakatuh,

I went to the supermarket one morning and the man in front of me in the check-out not only moved the dividers along so they could be reached, he moved his own groceries further up on the conveyor belt so I would have more space to place mine. I appreciated it. I thought to myself, small kindnesses go a long way to making an impression on others. They speak of compassion, caring, politeness, consideration, and a kind heart.

I standardly smile, hold doors open, offer assistance where warranted, and let cars go ahead of me in traffic. Now I think that if we have a whole surah dedicated to the subject, Surah Al Maun, and the most beautiful example of selfless generosity and kindness in our Prophet, SAW, then we should be nicer, kinder, more considerate, politer, more compassionate, more caring, with kinder hearts than anyone else. We need to set the record for small kindnesses. It is a powerful form of da'awah and nothing less than an obligation as Muslims.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers